Ever since watching Rachel Khoo make chouquettes on the BBC programme Little Paris Kitchen I have been itching to make them myself. The only thing stopping me was that I couldn’t find the pearl sugar in any of my local supermarkets,
or even online Update: Doh, I actually just realised that I needed to search for “nib sugar” and then it comes up with quite a few. I had to go into London to L’atelier des Chefs (19 Wigmore Street or 10 Foster Lane) to buy them.
Recipe from Rachel Khoo’s Little Paris Kitchen:
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
170g plain flour
Icing sugar for sprinkling
Pearl sugar to decorate
- Preheat oven to 200c. In a pan mix together the water, milk, salt and sugar. Add the butter (cubed) and bring to the boil.
- Stir in the flour and mix until a smooth, soft dough forms.
- Remove to a bowl and leave to cool for a few minutes, stirring to help release the heat.
- Mix in the eggs, one at a time, until dough is smooth and glossy.
- Place dough into a piping bag and pipe bite-sized dollops onto a lined baking tray.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar and top with pearl sugar. Sprinkle with icing sugar again.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until evenly browned.
- Allow to cool completely before packing away or covering as otherwise the steam will melt the pearl sugar.
You could also fill them with flavoured cream or drizzle with chocolate.